Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tiny personal triumphs

Happy Sunday everyone--

One of the odd things about being an Aspie is that we tend to easily do things most people find at least a bit challenging, and we are horrible at doing other things most people do as naturally as breathing.

For example, I am practically a speed reader, and I can do it with absolute comprehension of what I am reading (this is not a skill limited to being an Aspie, but it serves as a general example).  I've been able to do this since I was about seven, and it took no extra work or effort on my part to develop this skill. My brain is just wired that way, it is an innate ability.

On the other hand, little things like going to a party and making a business phone call throw me into a tizzy.

So, without further ado, I'd like to share my triumphs over the past week.


  • I managed to successfully make a very important business phone call on Thursday--successfully enough that I got the result I was hoping to get out of it.
  • I went to a party with a lot of people and managed to A) not go into my normal 'I am totally overwhelmed and need to hide' mode and B) managed to not make a fool of myself.  I think.

I also read a 450 page book in just a few hours but you know...that's the easy part.

Cheers,

EA

PS--if anyone would like to see a post on a specific topic related to to Autism or Asperger's, please leave it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment