Thursday, January 6, 2011

MMR does not cause Autism

Well, parents, breathe a sigh of relief.  The MMR (the Measles, mumps, rubella vaccine given to children), does not cause autism.

I've actually known this for a while, having been interested in the story for many years (way before I had a clue I could be on the Autism Spectrum myself).  I can't help ponder the history of medicine and social health in general...there was a time it was thought being dirty was actually beneficial to health because the dirt stopped any foul vapors from entering into the skin (thanks, Bill Bryson!).  You'd think that with all of our knowledge and technology we'd have progressed past the point of scaring the public with such spurious, misleading. and deliberately panic provoking science...

But I guess not.  :)

HT--Glenn Reynolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment