Tuesday, July 3, 2012

God bless the USA

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July.  Tomorrow we celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence (and yes, I know it actually took months, but work with me here), and the birth of the United States of America as a sovereign nation.

I present for you here the song Is Anybody there from 1776, a movie which never fails to move me, and a song which never fails to stir my soul.

John Adams, I see what what you saw.  Despite the many, many mistakes and wrong turns America has made during the last 50 years and especially the last 4 that have brought us back to almost the same state you fought against over 230 years ago, I STILL see what you see.  I still have a love for  my country and a belief in what she was once and can be again burning in my heart.  And believe me, as best as I am able, being neither eloquent nor charismatic,  politician nor journalist, I will still fight for this country we both love.  You spoke in your letters of commitment.  I promise you, I am committed.

And shame, SHAME on our politicians for caring more about reelections and spinning the media and campaign money then they do about the citizens they represent and the ideals that formed this country.  FIE on them for forgetting true patriotism, true selflessness.  Our Founding fathers, though surely there was disagreement and acrimony and backstabbing, never, NEVER lost sight of the fact that their goal was to nurture and protect the cause of freedom and liberty in this country, freshly created, unique in all of history.  History should teach us lessons.  I say to all elected officials, it is time to start learning.

So the Erudite Aspie is going to take a few days off to celebrate the birth of the greatest nation on earth. And before I go, please listen to our national anthem.  And if you get teary eyed, well, so do I.  Every single time.


Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?


God bless you all, and God bless the USA.

EA




No comments:

Post a Comment